Writing an essay is a requirement of educational programmes, universities and colleges. Since most schools do not have entrance exams, the only way to present yourself, talk about yourself and all your virtues is in a motivational essay. By accepting hundreds or even thousands of essays, the school assesses the potential student’s honesty, maturity, interpersonal skills and ability to relate to others. How can you impress a member of the admissions committee?
Below we will look at the most common mistakes made by essay applicants, as well as give some guidelines on how to write an effective essay for high school students. Since the standards of writing such papers are high, let’s list a few principles to follow that will help guide you, especially if you are facing such a task for the first time.
When beginning to work on an essay, you should read the assignment very carefully. One of the most common mistakes is to misinterpret the assignment (question) or not to answer it and deviate from the topic. An essay should always have a direct answer to the question posed.
Before you start writing, make an outline of your essay. To do this, be clear about what the admissions office of the particular school wants from you, what kind of students they prefer to see within their walls. Think about what details from your experience could be helpful and what strengths they would like to bring to the fore.
The content of the essay should be coherent and well-reasoned. An interesting essay loses if its content is reduced to listing statements without illustrating them with examples. Details make an essay interesting, unique and specific. And they should be as personalised as possible. It is boring to read a text replete with general phrases. Learn to write an informative essay outline high school.
The topic should be unusual and original enough to make you stand out from the crowd of other applicants. Remember that the reader of your essay is a very busy committee member who has already read 20 essays before you and has another 50 to read before the end of the day. Accordingly, the most striking work is remembered. Because of this, when admissions representatives are asked for advice on essays, they advise you to put some features into your essay, something that will set you apart from other candidates.
Completely eliminate plagiarism from your essay. Remember that an essay is a product of purely personal creativity. Therefore, it is best to take a topic that is close to you and affects your life. It is believed that such a topic is the easiest to cover.
The next requirement that should be unconditionally observed is brevity. The length of the essay is clearly stipulated in the guidelines. It is not recommended to go more than 15-20% beyond the specified limits. Teachers like clarity: one paragraph – one thesis. One sentence – one thought. Be concise, but at the same time avoid excessive simplicity.
Write in such a way that your qualities can be judged by your actions. Describe specific examples.
- Incomplete disclosure. Most applicants don’t write what they think they’re writing, they overpromote themselves, trying to present themselves in the best possible way.
- Incorrect choice of words and sentences. Short phrases are perceived more effectively. The best essays are those in which long sentences alternate with short ones. You should not over-operate with complex and encyclopedic terms. This is only appropriate if you can use them easily and correctly.
- Lots of “I”. If there are too many “I” sentences, your speech will sound primitive. You need to be able to pick up the words without changing the meaning.
Take advice from admissions representatives: The world needs committed leaders with potential, but don’t forget to be human.
Why it is good to write an essay for high school
- Essays teach you to think. Writing requires a lot of analysis, searching for information in books and on the Internet, summarizing your own or other people’s life experiences.
- Essays teach you to find the right facts, check and compare them.
- Essays develop logical thinking. Texts have a structure, all parts of which must be linked by a main idea. Keeping track of the logic of the narrative is an important skill that will come in handy later in college and in the workplace.
- Essays awaken your creativity. Writing from a template is boring and unhealthy. To write something really interesting, you have to be imaginative. Essay enthusiasts in school often become writers in the future.
If for some reason you cannot write an essay yourself, it makes sense to use specialised services such as more details on the link. This is the easiest way to get a quality essay in the shortest possible time.